MY SHORT ESSAY ABOUT THE PHILIPPINES- Jaeyoun

Dear Friends, Take a little of your time to reflect on the truth of
this short story below.
Know this: though love is weak and hate is
strong, Yet hate is short, and love is very long."
The message goes:
As you know, we have plenty of Koreans currently studying in the
Philippines to take advantage of our cheaper tuition fees and learn
English at the same time. "When I went home to Iloilo last February, I
observed the presence of So. Koreans everywhere we went. I asked some
of them why study English here. The response was - Filipinos speak
clearly, slowly and easy for us to understand than any other English
speaking country in the world. " --Vic Evaristo

This is an essay
written by a Korean student I want to share with you. This should be a
wake up call to every Filipino. (Never mind the grammar; it's the
CONTENT that counts)

**MY SHORT ESSAY ABOUT THE PHILIPPINES Jaeyoun
Kim
Filipinos always complain about the corruption in the Philippines.
Do you really think the corruption is the problem of the Philippines ?
I do not think so. I strongly believe that the problem is the lack of
love for the Philippines Let me first talk about my country, Korea .
It might help you understand my point. After the Korean War, South Korea
was one of the poorest countries in the world. Koreans had to start from
scratch because entire country was destroyed after the Korean War, and
we had no natural resources. Koreans used to talk about the
Philippines , for Filipinos were very rich in Asia . We envy Filipinos.
Koreans really wanted to be well off like Filipinos. Many Koreans died
of famine. My father & brother also died because of famine. Korean
government was very corrupt and is still very corrupt beyond your
imagination, but Korea was able to develop dramatically because Koreans
really did their best for the common good with their heart burning with
patriotism. Koreans did not work just for themselves but also for
their neighborhood and country. Education inspired young men with the
spirit of patriotism. 40 years ago, President Park took over the
government to reform Korea . He tried to borrow money from other
countries, but it was not possible to get a loan and attract a foreign
investment because the economic situation of South Korea was so bad.
Korea had only three factories. So, President Park sent many mine
workers and nurses to Germany so that they could send money to Korea to
build a factory. They had to go through horrible experience. In 1964,
President Park visited Germany to borrow money. Hundred of Koreans in
Germany came to the airport to welcome him and cried there as they saw
the President Park . They asked to him, "President, when can we be well
off?" That was the only question everyone asked to him. President Park
cried with them and promised them that Korea would be well off if
everyone works hard for Korea , and the President of Germany got the
strong impression on them and lent money to Korea . So, President Park
was able to build many factories in Korea . He always asked Koreans to
love their country from their heart. Many Korean scientists and
engineers in the USA came back to Korea to help developing country
because they wanted their country to be well off. Though they received
very small salary, they did their best for Korea . They always hoped
that their children would live in well off country. My parents always
brought me to the places where poor and physically handicapped people
live. They wanted me to understand their life and help them. I also
worked for Catholic Church when I was in the army. The only thing I
learned from Catholic Church was that we have to love our neighborhood.
And, I have loved my neighborhood. Have you cried for the Philippines ?
I have cried for my country several times. I also cried for the
Philippines because of so many poor people. I have been to the New
Bilibid prison. What made me sad in the prison were the prisoners who do
not have any love for their country. They go to mass and work for
Church. They pray everyday. However, they do not love the Philippines
. I talked to two prisoners at the maximum-security compound, and both
of them said that they would leave the Philippines right after they are
released from the prison. They said that they would start a new life in
other countries and never come back to the Philippines Many Koreans
have a great love for Korea so that we were able to share our wealth
with our neighborhood. The owners of factory and company were
distributed their profit to their employees fairly so that employees
could buy what they needed and saved money for the future and their
children. When I was in Korea , I had a very strong faith and wanted
to be a priest. However, when I came to the Philippines , I completely
lost my faith. I was very confused when I saw many unbelievable
situations in the Philippines . Street kids always make me sad, and I
see them everyday. The Philippines is the only Catholic country in Asia
, but there are too many poor people here. People go to church every
Sunday to pray, but nothing has been changed. My parents came to the
Philippines last week and saw this situation. They told me that Korea
was much poorer than the present Philippines when they were young. They
are so sorry that there are so many beggars and street kids. When we
went to Pasangjan, I forced my parents to take a boat because it would
fun. However, they were not happy after taking a boat. They said that
they would not take the boat again because they were sympathized the
boatmen, for the boatmen were very poor and had a small frame. Most of
people just took a boat and enjoyed it. But, my parents did not enjoy it
because of love for them. My mother who has been working for Catholic
Church since I was very young told me that if we just go to mass without
changing ourselves, we are not Catholic indeed. Faith should come with
action. She added that I have to love Filipinos and do good things for
them because all of us are same and have received a great love from God.
I want Filipinos to love their neighborhood and country as much as they
love God so that the Philippines will be well off. I am sure that love
is the keyword, which Filipinos should remember. We cannot change the
sinful structure at once. It should start from person. Love must start
in everybody, in a small scale and have to grow. A lot of things happen
if we open up to love. Let's put away our prejudices and look at our
worries with our new eyes. I discover that every person is worthy to
be loved. Trust in love, because it makes changes possible. Love changes
you and me. It changes people, contexts and relationships. It changes
the world. Please love your neighborhood and country. * *Jesus Christ
said that whatever we do to others we do to Him. In the Philippines ,
there is God for people who are abused and abandoned. There is God who
is crying for love. If you have a child, teach them how to love the
Philippines . Teach them why they have to love their neighborhood and
country. You already know that God also will be very happy if you love
others. That's all I really want to ask you Filipinos.